Who We Are
A group of graduate students and young adults (ages 22-35) who are associated with the St. Thomas More Catholic Newman Center at the University of Arizona.
We welcome all who seek to grow closer to God and each other and to allow the love of Jesus Christ to transform our lives to be more like His.
What We Do
During Fall and Spring semesters, we meet every Thursday from 7:30pm-8:30pm (currently via Zoom). Our weekly meetings are intended to build community and help us grow in knowledge of our faith and love of God. These events range from theological presentations to social events, panel conversations, faith sharing, and service activities.
We occasionally also get together informally to go hiking, dancing, or attend adoration or masses as a group. These extra activities are usually arranged during our weekly Thursday events or communicated through our GroupMe – we look forward to adding you!
- Bolded events are official YAC events
- Thursday 4/1 – Virtual Holy Thursday Mass (7:30PM)
- Monday 4/5 – Young Adult Bible Study (7PM)
- Thursday 4/8 – Easter Social (7:30PM)
- Saturday 4/10 – Virtual Spring Retreat! (9:30am to 2:30pm with a 6:30pm in person mass at the Newman center that you can RSVP for in the signup form) Sign up Here!: http://www.tinyurl.com/YACSPR2021
- Monday 4/12 – Young Adult Bible Study (7PM)
- Tuesday 4/13 – Thomistic Institute Talk (6PM)
- Thursday 4/15 – Cultural Differences in the Catholic Church (7:30 PM)
- Friday 4/16 – YAC Gals Night (7PM)
- Monday 4/19 – Young Adult Bible Study (7PM)
- Thursday 4/22 – Divine Mercy Faith Sharing (7:30PM)
- Monday 4/26 – Young Adult Bible Study (7PM)
- Tuesday 4/27 – Newman Book Club: “The Poisonwood Bible” by Margaret Kingsolver (7PM)
- Thursday 4/29 – Saints in Adversity: St. Catherine of Siena (7:30PM)
Come join us for a monthly discussion group where we discuss anonymous questions and reflections written by members of the group to delve into the parts of our faith we are wrestling with. No topic, opinion, or question is off limits. The purpose is to use faith and reason to remove any stumbling blocks in our path to God.
Letters can be sent to Kevin Kuper’s email address at email@example.com. The group typically meets on the first Saturday of each month from 12:00pm until 1:30pm (but check with Kevin for the details).
Young Adult Bible Study:
Are you a young professional or graduate student who is looking to grow deeper in your faith? Are you curious to learn more about how the Bible applies to your life? Join the Young Adult Bible Study on Mondays at 7:00pm! We are currently meeting via Zoom and praying through the book of Acts. If you would like the link and/or more information, please contact Kelly Kuper at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Past Event Photos
- If you have any questions please feel free to contact Edith and Joe at email@example.com
- To receive regular email updates about upcoming events you can join our mailing list by emailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can find us on our facebook page and facebook group.
Meet Our Leadership Team
Edith Martinez: Hello! It’s almost been 2 years since I graduated from the U of A. I graduated with two degrees in Spanish Translation and Latin American studies. I currently am working for the Children’s Museum as an educator, where I’ve been blessed to be able to aid in children’s development. I joined the group in May of 2019 and I have really enjoyed being a part of this community. When I have free time I enjoy hiking, traveling and dancing(even though I have two left feet)!
Joe Ornellas: I’m a mechanical engineer who loves mountain-biking, hiking, and camping. I enjoy working and getting things done. I joined the young adult group in February of 2019 as a way to reconnect with my faith and get to know some people.
Nathan Payne: Hey There! I am a music theory master’s student and teaching assistant at the Fred Fox School of Music on the U of A (UArizona) campus. I currently serve Newman as one of YAC’s leaders and also direct the Saturday 5:15pm Mass (and fill in where needed). If you are interested in giving time and talent through the music ministry, let me know! In addition, I like to hike and explore with my wife Natalie, compose music (mainly for ecclesiastical use), and contemplate world issues in relation to theology and philosophy.
Ariel Ornellas: It’s been almost two years since I joined YAC in 2019. Since then, I’ve enjoyed building new friendships and having a community of faith. I work at the University in Career Education where I help students consider career paths and through their job searches and enjoy meeting new people.
Nnamdi Enyinna: I am an embedded software engineer working here in Tucson. I joined the young adult ministry to help grow the catholic community that seems to drop-off for most right after undergraduate studies. I’m part of the Tucson adult soccer league, and in my free time I enjoy hanging out, watching movies, and playing video-games.
Lauren Cutler: Hi! I’m an atmospheric science graduate student here at the University of Arizona. I joined YAC in 2018 when I moved here to start graduate school. When I have free time I like to read and hang out with friends. I’m excited to connect with others and grow my faith! I like clouds.
Anne Marie Sullivan: